Aviva announces board changes
- 30 April 2015
- Posted by: Simon Wait
- Category: News
Aviva plc (‘Aviva’ or the ‘Company’) has confirmed changes to the composition of the Board.
These changes, which have been previously announced, are effective from the conclusion of today’s Annual General Meeting:
• Sir Adrian Montague has become chairman of the board
• John McFarlane has retired as chairman of the board and as a non-executive director
• Gay Huey Evans has retired as a non-executive director
• Andy Briggs has been appointed as an executive director and CEO, UK & Ireland Life
• Sir Malcolm Williamson has been appointed as a non-executive director and senior independent director
Andy Briggs and Sir Malcolm Williamson will stand for election at the 2016 Annual General Meeting. Their appointments have been approved by the Prudential Regulatory Authority and Financial Conduct Authority.
Sir Adrian Montague, chairman, commented, ‘I would like to thank John for his outstanding leadership of the Board and I wish him well in his new role. I would also like to thank Gay Huey Evans for her service to Aviva over the last three years. I am delighted to welcome Sir Malcolm Williamson to the Board, as chairman of Friends Life he is well qualified to be Aviva’s Senior Independent Director.’
Mark Wilson, group chief executive officer, commented, ‘I am pleased to welcome Andy Briggs to the Company and the Board. His experience will be invaluable as we integrate Friends Life and move to the next phase.
‘Sir Adrian Montague ably steps into the role of Chairman today. Sir Adrian’s knowledge, experience and wisdom make him the ideal person to succeed John as Chairman.’