BMH completes 1,000th Jaguar bonnet

British Motor Heritage (BMH) has produced its 1,000th replacement E-Type Jaguar bonnet.

It was completed on 21 June by the dedicated E-type team of Steve Fry, Alan Stacey, Dave Jeffs and Tom Corfield, who between them can boast 71 years’ service to BMH.

Supplied exclusively to Jaguar Land Rover Classic, the bonnets are manufactured to original specification on the original Jaguar tooling. Each one comprises 82 individual parts and takes no less than 70-man hours to construct. Approximately 70% of the orders are for the Series 1 model, with the other 30% split evenly between Series 2 and Series 3 cars.

BMH’s managing director Graham Payne said: “Today’s enthusiasts are increasingly particular about the fit and finish of any replacement panels, and never more so than with the bonnet of the E-Type, which forms such a large percentage of the car. I’d say our E-Type team are as committed to their task as any in the industry, and they take great pride in the parts they produce, that require hours of expert hand-finishing.

“Once complete, the bonnets are packaged in robust purpose-built boxes for safe transportation to owners around the world. It is rewarding to know that we are doing our bit to secure the longevity of a model described by no lesser man than Enzo Ferrari as ‘the most beautiful car ever made’.”